Everything around our planet evolves with time and its essence. It grows, sheds, wrinkles, and takes many different forms over the years. Just like that part of nature that ages, we human beings, too, go through dynamic eras and are changed with it. And one massive evidence to that change, is our skin. Along with the many years that pass, the natural strength of our skin gets lost , it starts appearing transparent, becoming pale looking and thin. It loses the elasticity intact, strength, plump and smooth skin texture, and does not look as healthy as it once used to. We no longer have the youthful glow and natural beauty we previously had.
Your skin is just as prime as any part of your body, perhaps one of the most important ones. It acts as a shield of protection to your inside muscles, bones and cells. It safeguards the internal organs, preventing them from getting affected by pollution, diseases, and other damages. Hence, naturally taking good care of your skin will help you maintain the cushion of your whole body. A newborn is blessed with the gift of healthy skin and maintaining that same genuine skin texture, and on the other hand becoming an adult, is quite tough. Ageing is the way of the world and eventually it will happen, but having healthy, damage free skin even in old age comes from consistently taking care of it. We are not born with the benefit to reverse skin ageing completely, maybe moderately with cosmetic procedures for tightening serum treatments, but still it would not be cured wholly.
It is a lot easier to assess younger skin than aged, therefore, start maintaining a skin regime or routine from now, to secure the goodness in your future skin! Every human comes with different and unique types of skin, thus, understand the needs of your skin with the help of a well-qualified dermatologist and take steps accordingly.
Causes of ageing skin
Now to understand the depth of how to address signs of ageing on your skin, it is very vital to know the source, which is primarily causing it. That’s when you can move forward in taking the right steps to cure the damaged cells of your skin.
Here are the utmost factors that escalates skin ageing listed below
1. Intrinsic factors
Intrinsic changes occur throughout every skin as people grow in age, including decreased turnover, chemical clearance, thickness and cellularity, thermoregulation, mechanical protection, immune responsiveness, sensory perception, sweat and sebum production and vascular reactivity. These are factors that appear naturally over a span of time due to age or hormones and other genetically determined aspects. Signs of skin sagging, wrinkles, fine lines, thinning and cracking show on skin after a period of time due to the presence of intrinsic factors.
2. Extrinsic factors
Extrinsic factors are causes that take place due to the outer habitat or environment one lives in. Skin ageing cannot be blamed solely on an internal factor as its cause, there are millions of external reasons that can heighten the speed of this natural ageing process. Exposure to UV radiation is one of the main and primary factors of extrinsic skin ageing. It not only damages skin but also accounts for almost 80% of facial ageing. The exposure to exposomal factors such as air pollution, solar radiation, climate factors, nutrition, and other factors, these factors when comes in contact to your unprotected skin can modify skin damage and premature ageing of it.
Even though this is the most ignored factor of the list, it can stand as one of the most tremendous reasons causing damage to your skin. It can involve habits like smoking, drinking, poor eating or dietary habits, and even an untimed sleep schedule. Smoking and drinking can not only harm your inner health but its effects can start showing on your outer core that is your skin. When we do not maintain a healthy, balanced diet, our body cells may start depleting and cause serious skin ageing which cannot be reversed. And lastly, without a healthy sleep schedule, all our efforts to build a better lifestyle goes to waste. A good 8-hour sleep rejuvenates and energies your body and skin, making it all the better, but the lack of it can show into saggy and dull skin, or even rigid dark circles and eyebags.
Signs of ageing skin
When the cell walls of your skin change for the negative, its effects start showing on our skin ,overtime. For instance, your hands take the beating of daily chores on a regular basis , hence, it starts showing signs of skin ageing very early through wrinkled and sagging skin. The sides of our eyes showcase fine lines which slowly define into more visible due to the ageing of our skin. The skin on the neck becomes thinner, and with the high hair fall rate, our scalp too starts showing.
Here is a broad description of the signs to lookout for in skin ageing
● The first and foremost sign to keep an eye for is fine lines and wrinkles. This can start as early as in the twenty’s as your skin starts maturing during that age era, losing its firmness and skin tightening factors in the process. These soft fine lines can show around your eyes, foreheads or smile lines. Without any immediate step or action, it can ultimately become more clear and defined, leaving your skin very saggy and uneven looking.
● Next is the age spots that are small and flat dark spots caused by overactive pigment cells and may appear overtime due to sun damage. People who are out in the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun without any treatment or protection barrier for the skin are prone to such spots, as UV rays speed up the production of melanin.
● Dullness and uneven skin tone may appear on your skin, thinning your skin and making your inside veins visible as you age The main factor to cause this can be dehydration or lack of water intake to keep your body hydrated. Inner hydration is the main source of smooth and plumpled skin, and naturally the lack of that in your mid years can show signs of ageing as you grow, leaving it dull and taking away the natural glow of your skin.
● Sun rays can cause the ultimate damage to your skin in many ways and dryness or skin thinning is one of them. With thinning of skin, the internal veins of your body become more visible to the natural eyes. Hence, it is advised to always apply sunscreen for the duration of when the sun is out. All the listed signs will help you track your skin ageing, and take steps to prevent it from further damaging your skin much more early.
How to address signs of ageing on your skin
With the growth of brands in the skin care world, there has been the introduction of many new facilities, treatments and products that can benefit or cure your skin. Here is how you can address signs of ageing on your skin:
1. A suitable skin care routine
A skin regime ,with products that do not irritate your skin ,that is followed on a regular basis will help and ensure to keep your skin healthy.
2. Cleansing your skin from its depth
Using a gentle cleanser twice a day helps remove pollution properties, dust particles and dirt that can damage your skin, without taking away the natural oil shield of your skin. Cleansing also ensures a clean base for the other products in your routine that comes after.
3. Moisturisers and serums
Moisturisers and serums have the ability to repair and smoothen damaged cells of your skin from its very depth. Using the right kind of moisturising cream and serum, preferably recommended by a professional dermatologist can ensure good results on your skin in this category.
4. Protection of skin from harmful sun rays
None of the skin care steps will matter if a protection barrier of spf is not in your skin care routine. No matter what treatment you opt for, sun damage can undo its effects and harm your skin with tanning, ageing which cannot be reversed and will show later in age. Hence , adding a sunscreen with a good spf to your regime is the best choice to ensure your skin is protected as well as the other products you are using, can give its best.
5. Addition of anti ageing products
With the incoming 20’s, the addition of anti ageing creams would benefit your skin by holding its natural elasticity intact. Retinoids are a good option for its anti-aging effects.
6. Lifestyle changes
Something we are not really aware of is how our lifestyle can affect our skin and body. From what you consume to the habits you have, all of it can affect your skin negatively or positively. Here are some lifestyle changes that would help you on your journey to address signs of ageing on your skin :
● Avoid smoking and the consumption of alcohol or drugs.
● Avoid stressful situations, and if stress occurs otherwise, choose to meditate. ● Eat a balanced diet in every meal.
● Avoid carbonated or sugary drinks.
● Avoid junk foods.
● Move your body through exercises.
● Avoid spending too many hours with your phone.
● And lastly, get adequate sleep.
7. With regular checkups with your dermatologist, you can discuss what treatments will prevent ageing appearance on your skin and understand the ways of botox, fillers, chemical peels and laser therapy, and find the best for your skin.
With all these steps, you can ensure the prevention of skin ageing.
Addressing signs of ageing on your skin can be a tough call but with the right guidance of a dermatologist, the situation can be cured the right way. Taking care of your skin is just as important as taking care of the other parts of your body as it is the protecting shield of your body from all harm and danger. Hence, being aware of what your skin needs and wants will benefit you with the perfect skin you wished for!